Pour lire en français, cliquez ici.
Toronto, ON (January 29, 2021) – The Canadian Premier League announced the 16 draft picks from the 2021 CPL-U SPORTS draft during a live presentation held today. Sixteen players will be invited to CPL Clubs’ preseason camp this year.
Since 2018, at the conclusion of the U SPORTS Men’s Soccer Championship, the Canadian Premier League holds a draft for eligible U SPORTS men’s soccer players who have registered and declared themselves ‘available’ to be selected through the League’s annual draft. This draft is open to any eligible U SPORTS underclassman that register for the draft. The CPL-U SPORTS Draft consisted of two rounds, eight picks in each round.
The player draft picks were announced in succession on January 29, 2021 at 3:00pm ET on CanPL.ca, @cplsoccer Twitter, OneSoccer and CBC digital.
1st Round CPL-U SPORTS Draft Selection*:
- FC Edmonton – Thomas Gardner – University of British Columbia
- Atlético Ottawa – Cristopher Malekos – Carleton University
- Valour FC – Yuba-Rayene Yesli – Université de Montréal
- York United – Christopher Campoli – Ontario Tech University
- Pacific FC – Christopher Lee – University of British Columbia
- Cavalry FC – Victor Loturi – Mount Royal University
- HFX Wanderers – Stefan Karajovanovic – Carleton University
- Forge FC – Garven-Michée Metusala – Concordia University
2nd Round CPL-U SPORTS Draft Selection*:
- Forge FC – Jose da Cunha – Cape Breton University
- HFX Wanderers – Kareem Sow – Université de Montréal
- Cavalry FC – Ethan Keen – Mount Royal University
- Pacific FC – Victory Shumbusho – University of British Columbia
- York United – Danial Rafisamii – Ontario Tech University
- Valour FC – Tony Mikhael – Carleton University
- Atlético Ottawa – Reggie Laryea – York University
- FC Edmonton – Jackson Farmer – University of British Columbia
* The order of the draft was based off of the Club’s regular season record over the course of the CPL’s 2020 season (Island Games) and was formatted in a “snake draft” order with FC Edmonton receiving the first-round selection.
This truly unique partnership between the Canadian Premier League and U SPORTS provides student-athletes with an opportunity to be signed to a CPL-U SPORTS Developmental Contract that allows a student-athlete with one to five years of U SPORTS eligibility remaining to sign with a CPL Club, while preserving their eligibility before returning to U SPORTS competition.
Read more to learn more about the 2021 CPL-U SPORTS Draft here.
About the Canadian Premier League
Canadian Premier League (CPL) is Canada’s professional men’s soccer league that debuted on April 27, 2019. Playing in world-class and unique venues, and partnering with strong community-led ownership groups, the CPL is a league for Canadians by Canadians that will bring professional soccer to communities coast-to-coast.
For updates and more information, please go to CanPL.ca.
Connect with us on Twitter: @CPLsoccer and #CanPL
About U SPORTS
U SPORTS is the national brand for university sports in Canada. Every year, over 20,000 student-athletes and 900 coaches from 56 universities vie for 21 national championships in 12 different sports. U SPORTS also provides higher performance international opportunities for Canadian student-athletes at Winter and Summer Universiades, as well as numerous World University Championships. For further information, visit USPORTS.ca or follow us on:
Vice President Communications
Canadian Premier League
Manager, Communications and Content
Off: 905-508-3000 ext. 242