Canadian under-23 men’s coach and national team assistant Mauro Biello joined OneSoccer’s Gareth Wheeler on Thursday for an in-depth, career-spanning interview.
Biello and the under-23 men’s team were set to partake in Concacaf Olympic qualifying in Mexico this Spring before COVID-19 shuttered soccer around the world. The pandemic also resulted in the Tokyo Olympics being postponed until next summer.
Speaking to Wheeler, Biello discussed the delay and how it could affect his squad selection. Canada Soccer had not yet revealed the final squad that Biello was going to take to the qualifying tournament, but a provisional 50-man roster had been unveiled.
“It could be six months or a year before you need to select another squad. And, as we know, it’s all about their form,” Biello said. “As leagues return, it’s about trying to find the balance of players in the right places. There are some players who could appear on the radar because their league is back or they’re performing well.
“There are a few under-20s who are in Europe who are starting to play. They could definitely hop on my radar.”
Biello also spoke about his role as a “CPL scout” for the Canadian men’s senior team. Several CPLers have earned call ups to the men’s side over the league’s first season, most notably Cavalry FC’s Marco Carducci, FC Edmonton’s Amer Didic, and Forge FC’s Tristan Borges.
“My role is to follow the league, go into the clubs. It’s about building a relationship and seeing the developments these players are in, how the coaches operate etc. I watched a lot of games and saw a lot of fantastic performances from players,” Biello said.
To watch OneSoccer’s interview with Mauro Biello in full, click here.