Adisa De Rosario returns to Toronto FC II after loan spell with York United

York United FC announced on Friday that goalkeeper Adisa De Rosario has returned to TFC II following a four-game loan spell with The Nine Stripes.

With Eleias Himaras now fully recovered from a meniscus injury that required surgery in early August, De Rosario has had his short-term contract terminated.

The 18-year-old, who played alongside older brother Osaze while with the club, delivered a litany of big moments during his short tenure, including one Save of the Season contender and another that might just prove season-defining.

In total, De Rosario racked up 360 minutes – contributing immensely to the club’s quest to reach the mandatory 2,000 mark for Under-21 players.

It was a baptism of fire for the youngster on his debut, getting the start in a local derby clash at Forge FC. De Rosario made some key saves, allowing his side to take a 3-2 lead before the hosts were awarded a penalty. The teen conjured a special moment when he dived to his right and pushed away Terran Campbell’s subsequent spot-kick, though the loose ball fell perfectly for the attacker and he scored at the second time of asking.

De Rosario’s next two outings – against Vancouver FC and Halifax Wanderers – saw a pair of victories and, in the case of the latter, one standout stop.

“Adisa helped us weather a difficult period when it came to our goalkeeping situation, and we thank him for his contributions to our club during that time,” said Angus McNab, President/CEO and GM of York United FC.

“We are excited to have both Elias and Niko back to full health and available for selection for our final four games of the regular season.”

With York United already a goal behind in a must-win game at Wanderers Grounds, the hosts had a perfect chance to double their lead when the club’s all-time leading goalscorer João Morelli raced clear with only De Rosario to beat. But the goalkeeper rushed off his line brilliantly and spread himself at the feet of the Brazilian, sticking out a left boot to block. Just a few minutes later, Austin Ricci equalized and the momentum swung in favour of Martin Nash’s side. Roger Thompson powered home a winning header midway through the second half and York claimed a crucial three points.

Things didn’t go according to plan last time out at home to Valour FC but De Rosario still delivered a scrapbook save late in the second half when he somehow clawed away Anthony Novak’s close-range attempt that seemed destined for the net.

De Rosario arrived at the club in early August after Himaras was ruled out for a lengthy spell. Subsequently, first-choice goalkeeper Niko Giantsopoulos was also sidelined with an ankle injury and the youngster found himself making a first start for The Nine Stripes in just his second time with the squad.