Introducing the inaugural Centre Circle Live! Year-End Quiz!
Below are 27 questions Armen Bedakian and Charlie O’Connor-Clarke endured on the latest episode of the CCL! podcast, which is available now. Under the wrath of quizmaster Marty Thompson, the two had a tough time, needless to say.
ROUND 1 – Forever First: Facts from the CPL’s first season
1. Who’s taller: Easton Ongaro or Peter Crouch?
2. Rounded to the nearest 100, how many goals did Yorky claim to have scored, on a special edition of Centre Circle Live, in a record-breaking season from the future? 435 or 635?
3. Which defender led the CPL in passes completed?
4. It took Halifax six away league matches to score a goal, a streak ended by this player against Pacific.
5. Which coach said the following of his floundering strikers in June: “You can lead a horse to water … can’t make him drink, though.”
6. Rounded to the nearest thousand, how many consecutive juggles did HFX Wanderers midfielder Scott Firth complete during his 45-minute world record challenge on YouTube?
7. Which CPL player has faced Messi?
8. Two CPL teams ended tied on points in the cumulative table: Which ones were they?
ROUND 2 – Guess the Caps
Guess the number of caps these CPLers have had for the Canadian men’s national team. You earn 1 point if you’re within 5 – 5 points if you guess correctly.
9. Kyle Bekker
10. David Edgar
11. Marcus Haber
12. Marcel De Jong
ROUND 3 – Canada
Trivia from this year with the Canadian men’s national team and in the Canadian Championship
13. Which club would Pacific FC have faced in the Semi-Final of the CanChamp?
14. Which Canadian senior men’s player scored six goals and four assists in 2019?
15. A pair of Halifax Wanderers finished runners up for the CanChamp golden boot. Thomasz Skublak was one. Who was the other?
16. Name the lone Toronto FC player who scored a penalty in this year’s CanChamp Final second leg.
17. At 11 goals, Lucas Cavallini and Jonathan David are halfway to tying the all-time scoring record for Canada. David famously debuted for Canada in 2018. When did Cavallini debut?
18. This player scored in Canada’s 2019 Women’s World Cup opener against Cameroon.
ROUND 4 – Teamwork round
Name as many players who fit the description. Stop when you guess incorrectly.
19. Name the CPL players that have appeared in Europe’s top 5 leagues
20. Name the eight players to score for FC Edmonton in 2019?
ROUND 5 – Who scored?
Guess the goalscorer, the team scored against, and the date. Each are worth a point.
21. Guess from the goal call (OneSoccer’s Nigel Reed)
22. In the bright early-summer sun, this fullback sent a rocket of a one-hit volley into the top of the net, making it 1-1 and scoring in his only goal of the season
25. This brace machine’s breath could be seen when he deflected home a winner in front of his club’s supporters section.
24. Guess from the goal call (OneSoccer’s Adam Jenkins and Terry Dunfield)
26. A deflected freekick fell to this goal scorer in the 30th minute, sending the home crowd into a frenzy as soccer arrived in the Bluenoser Province.
26. Off the bench and into the box, this goalscorer scored his first if two with his first touch on the ball – off his well-known Canadian soccer forehead.
BONUS ROUND – Hypothetical scenario tiebreaker
27. The CPL introduces a radical new format which includes the brand new Fall Cup. All October league matches are treated as a playoff, with the last team standing without a defeat taking home the trophy. Draws count as carryovers.
Which club would have won this fictitious playoff in October 2019, starting on Oct. 2 when Cavalry played Valour, FC Edmonton hosted Forge and HFX Wanderers headed west to Pacific FC?