HIGHLIGHTS: York United 2-2 Vancouver FC — CPL Match #35

Benjamín Mora’s debut as a York United manager ended in a 2-2 draw with Vancouver FC at York Lions Stadium on Sunday.

A back-and-forth match saw the hosts open the scoring after just 18 minutes through Markiyan Voytsekhovskyy before Alejandro Díaz quickly replied for Vancouver FC. York took the lead before halftime on a long-range strike from Juan Córdova, but a Moses Dyer penalty ensured Vancouver FC gained a point.

York United opened the scoring in the 18th minute with some direct play down the left flank. Oswaldo León, making his first start and wearing the captain’s armband, clipped a ball over the top into the path of Kadin Martin-Pereux. who cut into the box, before finding Voytsekhovskyy with a low cross. The 20-year-old provided a tidy finish with the side of his foot past Callum Irving, to give the Nine Stripes an early 1-0 lead.

The Eagles, however, responded almost immediately. Just two minutes later Moses Dyer made a run into the middle and played the ball through to Gabriel Bitar, who in turn found Díaz on the edge of the box. The Vancouver striker turned, found a yard of space and then sent a deflected shot across goal and into the back of the net to tie the game 1-1.

York were then forced to make an early switch as Tomas Giraldo pulled up in the 33rd minute, and Christian Zeppieri replaced him off the bench. The 21-year-old nearly made an instant impact when he dispossessed Allan Enyou moments later and ran in behind, but a poor touch let him down and the Vancouver defender was able to catch him.

The Nine Stripes still managed to retake the lead before the half, however. After winning a corner kick in the 42nd minute, they played the ball to the top of the box to Córdova. The Canadian international, who was playing as a midfielder on Sunday, launched an absolute cannon from distance which fooled Irving and gave York a 2-1 lead heading into the halftime break.

The second half began with little going forward for both sides, as they struggled to find quality and composure in the final third. Neither side attempted a shot until the 61st minute and any sort of chances were few and far between.

Looking to shake things up Vancouver FC made a triple substitution in the 73rd minute, bringing in Ben Fisk, Sebastian Dzikowski and Tommy Powell.

Fisk quickly made an impact, winning a penalty just three minutes later as his cross was judged to have been handled in the box by Martin-Pereux. Dyer stepped up to take the ensuing penalty, and while Thomas Vincensini got a hand to the New Zealander’s strike, it deflected into the roof of the net to tie the game at 2-2.

York United handed 16-year-old Shola Jimoh his debut in the 87th minute. Dzikowski had one last excellent chance to win the match in the dying moments, but dragged his shot just wide of the left post.

This was the first time that these two sides have drawn a match, with their six previous contests having a winner. It was just the second time, however, that the Eagles had earned a result against York.



York United: Vincensini; León, Sturing, Abatneh; Ferrari, Adekubge, Martinez (Hartill 87′), Córdova , Martin-Pereux; Giraldo (Zeppieri 33′ (Jimoh 87′), Voytsekhovskyy (Esprit 65′)

Vancouver FC: Irving; Chung, Enyou, Gee, Cameron; McDonnell (Verhoven 54′), Kibato (Powell 73′), Garcia; Bitar (Fisk 73′), Díaz (Dzikowski 73′), Dyer 


18′ — Markiyan Voytsekhovskyy (York United)
21′ — Alejandro Díaz (Vancouver FC)
42′ — Juan Córdova (York United)
77′ — Moses Dyer (Vancouver FC) (Pen.) 


54′ — Yellow: Markiyan Voytsekhovskyy (York United)
59′ — Yellow: Noah Abatneh (York United)
66′ — Yellow: Josué Martínez (York United)
68′ — Yellow: Paris Gee (Vancouver FC)
84′ — Yellow: Sebastian Dzikowski (Vancouver FC)
90+2′ — Yellow: Juan Córdova (York United)