HIGHLIGHTS: York United FC 2-1 Halifax Wanderers FC — CPL Match #24

York United FC won a third consecutive home match on Friday night, taking down Halifax Wanderers 2-1 at York Lions Stadium as interim head coach Mauro Eustáquio picked up his first professional victory.

Eustáquio took charge on the touchline for the first time after Martin Nash’s midweek departure from the club, and he opted to play an unchanged starting XI from the side that drew 2-2 with Cavalry the prior weekend. Halifax, meanwhile, made three changes, as Lorenzo Callegari returned from suspension in midfield while Wesley Timoteo came in at left-back and Giorgio Probo lined up as a number 10.

The game started with a high level of intensity, and before 10 minutes were through Halifax’s Julian Dunn picked up a yellow card for an aggressive slide through Max Ferrari at the touchline. Both sides had a handful of early chances but didn’t do much to test either goalkeeper — until, that is, just after the 20-minute mark.

Austin Ricci picked up the ball near the top of the box and paused with it, taking a touch to open up space for himself. He lifted a perfectly-placed shot over some defensive traffic, bouncing neatly off the far goalpost and in to give York the lead.

Just over 10 minutes later, the hosts doubled their lead as they broke quickly in transition and Ferrari fed Brian Wright into the box. Wright made the selfless pass across goal, where Dennis Salanovic was on hand with a well-timed run to smash it into the net.

The second half wasn’t markedly different from the first; the Wanderers went to the bench first around the hour mark as Patrice Gheisar brought in Ryan Telfer and Riley Ferrazzo to try and lift his side. They had their best chance of the evening shortly after as Dan Nimick got under a free kick crossed into the box, but he couldn’t quite get enough power on his header and put it right into Thomas Vincensini’s hands.

York, around the 70-minute mark, came close to scoring again as Brian Wright had a shot saved by Yann Fillion’s fingertips; moments later, Wright went down injured after a collision and had to leave the game, prompting some concern for York and their current leading scorer.

The Wanderers pulled one back to make a game of it with about 10 minutes to play, as former York player Ryan Telfer slotted it past Vincensini for his first in the CPL this year.

The newly-energized Wanderers pressed from there for an equalizer, but once again it wasn’t their night as they continue to look for their first win of the season.

York meanwhile held on for another well-deserved win at home, as they now find themselves on a three-game unbeaten streak.



York United: Vincensini; Ferrari, Abatneh, Sturing, Botello (León 82′); Baldisimo (Adekugbe 66′), Soumaoro, Martínez (Zeppieri 75′); Ricci, Wright (Martin-Pereux 75′), Salanovic (Cordova 82′)

Halifax Wanderers: Fillion; Fernandez (Dias 77′), Nimick, Dunn, Timoteo; Callegari, Rampersad; Daniels (Ferrazzo 60′), Probo (Vasconcelos 84′), Ferrin; Coimbra (Telfer 60′)


20′ — Austin Ricci (York United)
32′ — Dennis Salanovic (York United)
82′ — Ryan Telfer (Halifax Wanderers)


8′ — Yellow: Julian Dunn (Halifax Wanderers)
19′ — Yellow: Zach Fernandez (Halifax Wanderers)
65′ — Yellow: Orlando Botello (York United)